Hi Bob,
what is the boot time that you require? With a few optimization tricks
like making the kernel XIP from flash and using a patch from celinux to
speed up the delay loop calibration you can easily get boot times of a
few 100 msecs, depending on your cpu horsepower.

Regards,
Erwin

Am Mittwoch, den 13.02.2008, 07:03 -0700 schrieb Robert Warner:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking into the prospect of preloading all of the necessary tables
> for applications and kernel such that when the device is turned on it
> doesn't boot it just starts executing as if it had already gone through
> all the booting and application(s) initialization(s).  Has this aspect
> of system operation with Linux or uCLinux ever been discussed?  Search
> the web i see instant-on with respect to BIOS (Linux-BIOS) and
> SlapshTop's Linux (DeviceVM).
>
> In the automotive domain embedded systems don't 'boot'.  They just start
> executing at system start.  All tasks and initializations are preloaded.
>   Some re-initialization of parts of start up are allowed, and at
> various points of system operation.  Other embedded systems domains also
> have the concept of instant-on.
>
> Obviously, one way to do this is boot the system normally.  Record the
> current state of the system for all tables preloaded values, saving them
> for preloading in the 'instant on release'.  I need to think through
> this more, but i think it;s clear in what i want to achieve.  Just
> curious if it's been done with uCLinux recently.
>
> tia - bob
Dipl.-Ing. Erwin Authried
Softwareentwicklung und Systemdesign