Bob Brusa schreef:
Hi
I am looking into the question: How many resources (flash and RAM) are required to run a (typical) uClinux-system? At some places I read, that each piece of software that is part of (uC)linux is loaded from disk, decompressed and executed in RAM. On the other hand: From my previous (introductory) sessions with uClinux on a MCF5282-based board, I know that uClinux is written into the flash using romfs and at some other place I have read, that romfs is not compressed. Does this mean that programs stored in romfs are executed in place? Or does one have to take special measures to achieve this?

Whether your romfs is or is not compressed does not indicate whether it will execute from flash. An uncompressed romfs can also first be placed in ram before execution. In the archives of this list there are many posts about execute in place and links to relevant websites.

Regards,

Remco Poelstra