Michael Schnell wrote:
> Some architectures can do execute in place (XIP), some can't. (I did not
> yet find out the exact reasons.)
>
> RAM usually is a lot faster than Flash, so XIP might be not desirable.

However, XIP is possible in RAM too.  If RAM is fast but you don't
have a lot of it, or if fragmentation (no-mmu) is a real problem, then
XIP in RAM is really helpful.  On my project, it saves a few MiB of
RAM.

I use a special driver for XIP-in-RAM on Linux 2.4.26, but I have the
impression from a quick read of changes that Linux 2.4.3x and Linux
2.6.x might support XIP-in-RAM without a special driver.

-- Jamie