From: uclinux-dev-boun...@uclinux.org
[mailto:uclinux-dev-boun...@uclinux.org] On Behalf Of Greg Ungerer
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 06:21 PM
To: uClinux development list
Subject: Re: [uClinux-dev] newest possible kernel version for trunkof
uClinux-dist?

Hi Rainer,

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=240583&package_id=
> 292947 both contain a patched 2.6.26 kernel now, also under
> http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/uClinux-2.6.x/ I find
> linux-2.6.26-uc0.patch.gz as the latest patch.
>
> In one of the recent postings here I saw it mentioned that Linus has a
> -uc0 branch in addition to mainline.

No, thats not the case. Linus has no separate branches for uClinux.

I have patches that I version "-uc0", "-uc1", etc. But I generate
those, not Linus. They are for testing out upcoming changes that
I plan to send to Linus.

> And from another email I concluded
> that __uClinux__ is a conditional that surround nommu-isms in the
kernel
> source but "grep -r __uClinux__ *" gives me nothing in the kernel from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git.

No, not exactly either. Almost all of the current code in the kernel
for non-mmu is conditional on CONFIG_MMU. I would encourage you to
base anything non-MMU specific (not architecture specific) on this.

The define __uClinux__ is a gcc definition used by compilers generated
for uclinux.

> One of my colleagues says that uClinux is fully integrated in the
> mainline kernel now but seeing the patches for 2.6.26 and not finding
> anything with my grep confused me a bit and "just trying" with 2.6.28
or
> newer is several days of work.

non-MMU support is fully integrated into the kernel (has been in all
2.6 series kernels).

> Could someone please tell me which kernel is the newest that I can use
> to put our architecture code in and run the uClinux userland code and
> libs underneath?

I would use 2.6.28, if you are serious about pushing for main line
inclusion. I will release a 2.6.28-uc0 in a couple of weeks time.
But there is no reason to wait for that.

> I only checked the FAQs on uClinux and uCdot and I am reading
> uClinux-dev since about a month. If there is a better source of
> information I would be happy with any kind of: read this mailing
archive
> / website kind of answer.

They are about the best really...

Regards