Andrei Martynov wrote:
> what 2.4.x kernel ( > 2.4.17 ) can be recommended for ARM NOMMU
> target? I cannot solve problems with memory fragmentation in 2.6
> kernel and want to step back.

That's a disappointing result.  If problems cannot be solved on ARM
NOMMU, then it's very likely they cannot be solved on any NOMMU
architecture.

Is this for the Sigma Designs ARMs?  The latest they've used is
2.6.26-uc0, however looking at the changes in 2.4 kernels, the most
recent 2.4.37 kernel should work as well.

The difference in memory handling between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels is
enormous, but the difference from 2.4.17 to 2.4.37 is not much,
especially in the memory allocator and reclamation.

I'm surprised after all the effort to merge NOMMU into 2.6 as a
standard feature that it doesn't work as well as 2.4 kernels.

Is this because most uClinux major contributors target architectures
with MMU nowadays, so NOMMU support isn't important to them any more?

-- Jamie