In my particular case kernel uses all available RAM (~10MB) for disk
cache and releases it only in ~15 seconds. Other applications cannot
be started if one reads large files from disk. I do not experience
this problem with 2.4.17 kernel.
AFAIK, the Kernel _should_ reduce the disk cache as soon as memory is needed for other purposes (e.g. starting an application). Of course this might take some time for writing back the uncommitted blocks, but of course _much_ less than 15 seconds.

AFAIK, there are several settable (maybe when compiling, maybe at run time) parameters that define the disk cache behavior. Did you take a look at those ?

-Michael