It only uses FUTEX if the pthread library is NPTL, and I don't think
that's available for ARM no-MMU at the moment.
I already did read about this, but in fact I don't understand the implication.

In my understanding to implement FUTEX, the arch either needs to provide an appropriate monolithic memory operation (e.g. "load and inc" or "test and set"), or needs to be non-SMP and allow for disable/enable interrupts directly in user-space. (The second option seems to hold for most non-MMU-systems.)

But I understand that NPTL is simply a question if somebody cared to write the code for the arch.

So I don't see why the two things should be logically connected.

-Michael