The doc are inconsistent with the term sector.
At one point the refer to sectors as groups of blocks, suggesting that
blocks are sectors.

Then in 1.5.1:
The 512-byte sector size of the SD Card is the same as that in an IDE
magnetic disk drive....

And in 1.5.2. Defect and Error Management :
SD Cards contain a sophisticated defect and error management system. This
system is analogous to the systems found in magnetic disk drives and in many
cases offers enhancements. For instance, disk drives do not typically
perform a read after write to confirm the data is written correctly because
of the performance penalty that would be incurred. SD Cards do a read after
write under margin conditions to verify that the data is written correctly.
In the rare case that a bit is found to be defective, SD Cards replace this
bad bit with a spare bit within the sector header. If necessary, SD Cards
will even replace the entire sector with a spare sector. This is completely
transparent to the
host and does not consume any user data space.