Jim Donelson wrote:
>    >>Would disabling / enabling the interrupt be possible in user mode
>    >>(especially when running MMU enabled "full" Linux ?
>
>    That would depend on the arch of the MCU - May or may not be
>    enforceable by the kernel.
>    What should be done is that a "mutex" object should do this for you
>    (i.e patch the code in the kernel).

The whole point of futex is to _avoid_ system calls when possible, for
performance.  System calls aren't super slow, but locking primitives
are called very often in some code.

So good performance means finding a way to simulate atomic memory
updates in userspace without a user/kernel transition.

If you can't find any other way, then do that, but it's best avoided.

>    I am amazed that the base design did not have atomic instructions.

Well, they aren't free in terms of FPGA resources, they'd make the
attainable clock speed a bit slower, and they aren't necessary if you
have one CPU.

But I agree they would have made sense an an optional feature.

I wonder if load-locked/store-conditional is covered by patents...

-- Jamie