On Wednesday 16 December 2009 17:41:44 David Wooff wrote:
> Hello,
> I have read that there are 3 types, char, block and network.  Does it
> follow that if I write a device driver for my custom FPGA that it MUST
> fit in to this structure?

Try the char driver, it is simplest of three.

> Assuming this to be the case, would it be best to use the char device
> type and then use fseek to access a given address within the memory map
> of the FPGA?

IMO, using read/write functions to access FPGA registers is not a best way.
Alternatives are:
1) use custom ioctl's. Very convenient way to communicate with driver from C
userspace code.
2) use file under /proc or /sys to communicate with your driver. Convenient
way to communicate with driver from shell scripts, and you don't even need
device file under /dev directory in this case!

--
With Best Regards,
Vitaly Demyanec