David Wooff wrote:
> It's slightly complicated because my FPGA is effectively a bridge to a
> number of hot-pluggable
> backplane I/O cards.

This is similar to (e.g.) USB, SPI or I²C. Linux defines "Subsystems"
for this kind of devices: The complete subsystem bus is accessed by a
definable driver for the communication hardware and the devices behind
the subsystem are accessed from userland programs by drivers that use
the subsystem for communicating with the end-point hardware. The perfect
 solution would be defining a subsystem for your bus, but I don't know
how much developing effort this asks for.

> This electronic transmission is strictly confidential...

Please don't use multiline footers in a public mailing list. this is
highly impolite.

-Michael