I tried it with a DJ 930C and it didn't work. I couldn't get into the three button mode to dl the image. This DJ must be part of a different family of printers.

The USB VID and DID codes for the Deskjet 895cxi based on the modprobe, (modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0525 product=0xA4A6) in the HowTo, shows that the USB device chips are USB to Serial. (naturally since we can connect to the printer with minicom) The VID is for Netchip and the DID is for Linux-USB Serial Gadget. The DJ 930C shows up as 03f0 Hewlett-Packard and 1204 DeskJet 930c.

So I'm guessing no USB serial console unless it has the special chip. Most of the HP ink/laser products I have worked with have dedicated serial port headers.

Greg