Hi Peter,

On 07/06/2011 10:48 PM, Peter Turczak wrote:
we're considering to update our linux userland and kernel repository. Currently
we use a slightly adapted uClinux-dist-test-20080620 as a kernel and userland
for our MCF5208 system. So now we want to update both to more recent versions.
As there was a huge amount of work done by Greg, Geert merging m68nommmu and
m68k i am unsure wether it is clever to stick with the kernel distributed in
uClinux-dist-20101026 via Source Forge...

Thre is newer releases at www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist.
And they contain newer kernels.

I guess the userland from the current uClinux-dist release would be the best
choice to use.

Where do the patches Greg and Geert create go? Are they in the official kernel
or in Greg's fork?
(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gerg/m68knommu.git)

I ask Linus to pull the m68knommu changes from that git tree.
So from that they end up in mainline. Geert likewise has a git
tree that Linus pulls m68k updates from.

As I see the interface between the actual kernel and the uclinux-dist
buildsystem seems to minimal, so basically moving the kernel to the right place
will likely to do the trick, right?

Yep. I take linus kernels and build them in the dist. Easiest way for
me to build test images for running/testing. Nothing special is
required, just put the kernel source package at the top of the
uClinux-dist source tree.

Which kernel should I use for a production system, either cutting edge with
more features but risking problems or stick with an older release maybe still
having unfixed bugs?

Now that is a tricky question to answer :-)

Fixes that i've seen are for an example:
- rework ColdFire cacheing code, Greg,  November 11, 2010
- Wrong exception handling on m68knommu Coldfire 5208?, reported by Alexander
Stein, October 7 2010
- Merge m68knommu and m68k
- Coldfire QSPI platform support, Jate/Greg, July 2010 *
- Coldfire QSPI platform support, Jate/Greg, September 2010 *
- coldfire_qspi compile fix, Steven, April 24 2011
- etc.

To me always using the latest makes the most sense. I am usually
reluctant to have to go find/fix bugs in older kernels (unless they
still exist in current kernels that is).

The m68k/m68knommu merge seems to have gone smoothly so far. Though
there is much more to do in cleaning up and factoring the common
code out completely.

*) I'm not sure the marked fixed made into the 20101026 distro.

Off-hand I am not sure. I often only push updates/fixes into mainline
first, and let them come into the next dist version when I import the
latest kernel.

Maybe you can help be out of the confusion.

Anyways whatever kernel is used I will try making it work on our hardware
therefore I will provide patches for QSPI, SST flashes and the MCF-I2C problems
turn up.

Thank you in advance!

Patches greatly appreciated!

Regards