Hi Bob,

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 14:08 -0700, Bob Wirka wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome :)

> No, that's a real issue; there is no Linux BSP from Atmel. They've got
> some support for Ecos (and, hence, redboot), but that's about it. It
> would be nice if we could use the 2.6 kernel.

Well, the Ecos code could be a good start, though the Linux code will
probably have to be written from scratch.

Please note that at least the ARM7TDMI core is pretty well supported by
the ARM support in Linux generally, so it will be mostly centered around
the SoC itself.

It might be interesting to look at how much of the IP in the SoC is
unique to this Atmel processor, or wether code could be borrowed from
other ARM Atmel processors. Usually there's a lot of overlap between
families.

> The chip implements a Gigabit Mac in the fpga; so the ethernet driver
> will be unique.

Ah yes, that sounds like an interesting job indeed! I presume specs for
the FPGA interface are available, and if that follows the model of any
existing network card, there's a lot of code to reuse....

> This, I'm afraid, will be a hard nut to crack.

Sounds like a fairly big job indeed, but it might be worth while
investigating to see how much common code could be used/reused...

> If you'd like, I can send the CAP7 data sheet. It's 11MB; let me know
> if you're interested in looking at it.

If you can, without breaking any NDAs or so, please do. I can't promise
too much, but I'm willing to at least have a look through it and see if
I can at the very least point you in more concrete directions based on
it!

Regards,

Ithamar.