Hello!

  Check here:  http://freeservers.com/

> what about the manual
> maintenance steps you have to take?

  Documentation on cachemode is significantly updated in upcoming 3.1.9
release.
Please wait for it :-)

> is there anyway to
> turn the current data that's already indexed in sql
> into cache mode, or is reindexing the only way to do
> it?

Actually there is a way to convert data in some cases.
But we have to write little converter program. It should
take tab-separated data from stdin or text file and create
cachemode compatible files. But I afraid we can't find a time
to write this program.