i modified libtool a bit and it compiled and apache didn't complain.
i'll try making a sharedlib later. but upon testing it. it's VERY FAST.
i'm using cache mode and it's a few folds faster than the CGI version.
also my db is pgsql. when i say fast, i mean REALLY REALLY FAST. and
this is with a server load of about 4.. average load is about 1 or .90.
i'm running serveral indexers now.

something that is strange is this:

http://search.minnesota.com/test.php
search for these words: city council minneapolis official

first entry will be:

---cut---
  1. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/citywork/elected.html
     CONT : text/html
     TITLE: Minneapolis Elected Officials
     KEYWORDS: Minneapolis, City of Minneapolis, Minnesota, Twin
Cities, City of Lakes, City Government, MN, MPLS, Municipal Government,
Municipality, Local Government, Govern
     DESC: This is the official web site for the City of Minneapolis,
Minnesota, USA. As a round-the-clock ser
     TEXT: Minneapolis Elected Officials     View the City of
Minneapolis Goals   1999 Goals  2000 Goals  2001 Goals    Mayor  Sharon
Sayles Belton        Council Members     About the City Council (roles
and responsibilities)    Ward 1 - Paul Ostrow  Ward 2 - Joan
     SIZE : 9456
     MODIFIED : 979051812
     URLID : 517899
     SCORE : 4

look at the line "TEXT:"

now if you use "Minneapolis Elected Officials" as your new search
words, it will return 0 documents found. why?

one thing to note is i had to wipe out my ./var/tree, keep the URLs in
the db, expire all of the URLs, and 'indexer -m' to reindex them. this
process is VERY slow.. it seems as though it's 20 times slower than
when i initially started w/o any URLs in the DB yet, just "server"
commands. currently there are about 1/2 million urls in there, about
10,000 has been indexed.