On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Sanjeev <sanjeev.bagewadi at sun.com> wrote:

> Angad,
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:56:02PM +0530, Angad Singh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have convinced the administration to install Solaris on one of our
> > university's servers. This server is completely student managed. We run
> our
> > learning management system on this server. Earlier it was running on
> Windows
> > Server 2003 with IIS and MS SQL Server 2005 - the web app was made by our
> > seniors in ASP.NET. I ported the entire thing to PHP recently (Drupal,
> to be
> > specific) and told the administration about the obvious advantages of PHP
> vs
> > .NET and Solaris vs Windows.
> >
> > I am installing OpenSolaris build 95 on this system. It does not have a
> DVD
> > drive, so I plugged in a portable USB dvd drive.
> >
> > The SXCE dvd is throwing up the weirdest error after it shows "Starting
> > Java..." :
> >
> > WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci103c,300a at 1d,7/storage95/disk at 0,0 (sd0):
> >     SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout' giving up
>
> The disk seems to have stopped responding. Did a restart help ?
> What hardware is it ?

It's got an Intel Xeon processor with 4 gigs of RAM. (a rather old server we
have here) and has a SATA disk.

What happened after that is that just when I unplugged the DVD drive the
setup's GUI showed up, then I plugged it back in and completed the set of
steps to start the file copying stage. It stopped at around 26%.

> I am not sure what sd0 maps to. We need to identify if that refers to
> the HDD or the DVD. I would guess that it refers to DVD.

Yes it seems to have been the DVD.

> So with that assumption :
> - Is the DVD driver powered through USB or does it draw
>  external power ?

It was drawing external power, but connected to the system via USB.

> - Also, do you see any activity on the DVD drive ?

Nope.

Than

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Sriram Popuri <sgpopuri at gmail.com> wrote:

> pciid suggests its some HPs flash disk. So its seems theres some noise in
> the USB DVD drive. Maybe the DVD drive is malfunctioning.

So it seems.

> What system is this?

Answered above.. an intel xeon.. don't know exact model number.

> On sparc, you can try /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v after choosing
> the shell prompt.

Its x86.

> ~Sriram

It was probably a problem with installing from a DVD drive connected through
USB or the dvd media (or DVD drive's lense).

I'll ask the admin guys to install an internal dvd drive to it.

Wish there was a way to install solaris from a pen drive or an (easy) way to
install from the network.

Thanks for the replies :)
--
Angad Singh