On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Moinak Ghosh <moinakg at belenix.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Manish Chakravarty
> <manishchaks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Moinak Ghosh <moinakg at belenix.org> wrote:
>>> Hello Folks,
>>>
>>>   Virtual Console support (like ALT + F1, F2 etc. on Linux) went into
>>> OpenSolaris
>>> a while back:
>> I always thought it was strange the Solaris lacked this option.
>> The only option one had if one logged into a Solaris machine running
>> in console mode was to use screen.
>
>   Solaris has historically been targeted to big-iron enterprise boxes and
>   such features are esoteric in that space. One does not "sit in front" of
>   such boxes in the traditional sense. One will be using serial consoles
>   to remotely manage them.
>
>   However in today's changed scenario where OpenSolaris is targeting a
>   wider user base, support for Virtual Consoles become important.

Yes indeed. I normally connection to all my servers over ssh. And if
there's some maintenance to be performaned on some rack mounted
server, I'd be used to connecting to a single display/serial console.

The real fun would be if the BIOS of the rackmounted server/blade let
me connect over SSH:)

Dell Blades already have something called the DRAC (Dell Remote Access
Console) which let us connect to the blade hardware via a browser.

Multiple virtual consoles are a need only if you need to be present
physically at the server and you want to have multiple shells to work
with at the same time. Screen is one alternative, though (and a
preferable alternative, IMO).

With OpenSolaris on personal computers (desktops + laptops), virtual
consoles would be a nice to have (though not as powerful as multiple
screen sessions).

Here's some information on screen :
http://aymanh.com/increase-your-linux-unix-productivity-with-gnu-screen

Other links to screen are: