On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Guruprasad <lgp171188 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I tried installing OpenSolaris 2008.11 on a machine with 512 MB which
> is just sufficient as per the official requirements, but when I boot
> into the LiveCD, GDM starts and takes too long to load and also a
> Gnome-panel applet crashes everytime and am unable to start the
> installation at all.
>
> Is there a way to directly start the installation without loading the
> full GNOME environment or maybe a text mode install?

   There is no text-mode installer, however you can try the following:

   * Boot into command line mode and login
   * Ensure that there is no .xinitrc file in the user's home dir
   * Run /usr/X11/bin/xinit
     You will get the raw X-server screen and then a xterm window should
     pop up.
   * Bring the mouse pointer inside the xterm window to get focus
   * In the terminal window execute:  pfexec /usr/bin/gui-install

   This procedure will run just X and the installer without any of the GNOME
   bloat loaded.

Regards,
Moinak.
--