Hello all,

My name is Anand B and I am an undergraduate student in RV College of
Engineering. Me and my friends(3 total) wanted to build the bluetooth stack for
opensolaris as a part of our 8th sem project but after talking to some of the
Sun Engineers we decided on building the bluetooth stack in userland instead of
kernel since kernel development needs skills, expertise and time which we don't
have.

We have a limited time frame of around 3 -  3 1/2 months and we are 3 people
altogether. We have done some simple system programming as a part of our
previous semester projects.

The main idea of the project goes like this -

Since we can't integrate the stack into kernel, we can't support the existing
bluetooth device as a separate hardware. So, we will be writing support for
usb-bluetooth dongle. By doing this we will be able to read the bluetooth data
from the usb device using the libusb library. Once the bluetooth packets have
been read we need to provide the same standard bluetooth stack for applications
to use this device. Now we have the freedom of implementing the stack in
userland instead of integrating it into the kernel. I thought we could port the
freebsd implementation of the bluetooth stack or even the bluez implementation
of the stack. The licensing issue will not arise here I think since we are not
integrating it into the kernel anywhere.

After stating all this I have some questions arising in my mind,

Will be able to complete the project in time? ( an expected level of expertise
for the job)
How much usability will this project have upon completion ? ( when compared to
actual bluetooth stack implementation or in general )
Where can I find any guidance or documentation if I get stuck somewhere ?
( because I don't want us to waste too much time reinventing the wheel )

Can anyone guide me regarding this project ? Any help or guidance is largely
welcome. you can contact me at this address - anand (underscore ) bheemaraju
(at) yahoo (dot) com.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Anand B