On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Angad Singh <angad at angadsingh.in> wrote:
> (sorry for the cross-posting)
>
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Angad Singh <angad at angadsingh.in> wrote:
>>> I am running OpenSolaris 2008.05. I did a hard shutdown of my laptop,
>>> I had to since Sun Studio had gone into an infinite loop (some bug).
>>>
>>> After restart, Grub showed up fine, as soon as I press enter for
>>> OpenSolaris 2008.05's grub menu entry, it shows an error -
>>> "Inconsistent Filesystem Structure".
>>>
>>> And It doesn't show any shell !
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to fix this? I atleast need a shell prompt to be
>>> able to do anything with it. Other way around could possible be
>>> booting from the LiveCD and doing something?
>>>

>> Boot from the LiveCD, and see if it mounts the file systems on the
>> laptop. Since you're using 2008.5, the filesystem would be zfs, and
>> you should be able to fix this.
>>

> I booted from the Live CD. It doesn't automatically mount the solaris
> partition.
>
> If I do it manually like so:
>
> angad at opensolaris:/mnt# mount -F zfs /dev/dsk/c5d0p1 /mnt/sol
>
> It gives error:
> cannot open '/dev/dsk/c5d0p1': invalid dataset name
>
> What is the proper way of mounting the opensolaris 2008.05 partition
> from another one?

   Mounting ZFS is different from other mounting FS-es.
   Run  zpool import  without arguments. It will print existing pool
   names. for OpenSolaris 2008.05 it will be "rpool".

   Now run
   zpool import -R /mnt -f rpool

   The pool on harddisk will be imported temporarily rooted at /mnt.
   Now run  zfs list  to view all the datasets in the pool. The root
   dataset  rpool/ROOT/opensolaris will not be mounted since it is
   a "legacy" mount. You will have to mount that explicitly:

   mkdir /hdroot
   mount -F zfs rpool/ROOT/opensolaris /hdroot

   If all goes well you can run:
   /mnt/boot/solaris/bin/update_grub -R /mnt
   and then reboot back into harddisk.

   Otherwise you can try running
   zpool scrub rpool.

   The scrub command is vaguely similar to fsck. Execute
   zpool status  periodically to see whether errors were found.

Regards,
Moinak.