Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh at sun.com> wrote:
>

>>    Amazing ... you are up till 1:30AM with BeleniX!
>>

> Yes. Belenix holds so much promise, and seems to be "almost there". I
> inted to work woti you guys to help get it become more usable than it
> already it.
>
> I've signed up at Sarovar and have filed bugs and feature requests for
> 0.4.2 for XFCE. I'll take up KDE today, and command line utilities
> tomorrow.

   Thanks.
>> [...]
>>    However it will create another tree under /opt/csw and tends to pull
>> a lot of
>>    dependencies which will result in some duplication of software that
>> is already available
>>    under /usr/foss.
>>

> Ack. So that means Blastwave has a different package management scheme
> as compared to what Belenix/Solaris has. Reminds me of the rpm/deb
> scenario from the Linux world :)

   Not really. It is a layer on top of Solaris packaging. pkg-get is
essentially a shell script
   that does the automatic package download, digital signature
verification, dependency
   resolution etc. The packages are still Solaris packages and installed
using pkgadd.

   The only trouble with Blastwave is that the dependencies are quite
exhaustive and all
   dependencies are mandatory. In addition there is no mechanism to look
at already existing
   software installed elsewhere on the system. So it results in a big
number of packages being
   downloaded and lots of software being duplicated. Thus for eg. I
needed Mplayer and
   executed "pkg-get -i mplayer". This resulted in OpenLDAP and GCC3
being downloaded
   and installed as part of the dependency tree resolution!

Regards,
Moinak.