On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Arun Tomar <tomar.arun at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip/>

> A very short description about me. I've been using linux for the past 8 yrs.

That's an understatement :) Don't worry, I won't embarass you by
telling more on this public list :)

> Installation:
> ?Installation has become easy for both belenix and osol.

The install tool is the same. We change just the branding.

> Package manager:
> osol: IPS has improved since 2008.05 but still needs a lot of polishing and
> boosting.
> belenix: has done some cool stuff with spkg. i installed it in a new BE and
> installation was amazingly fast. i especially liked the multi threaded or
> simultaneous download stuff or whatever u call it. it really cool.

Thanks (to Moinak). We use axel.

> osol: takes ages to create a plan, then download the package and install it.
> i even downloaded the entire repo 7.2 gig and created a local repo and used
> it for install, still hardly and performance improvement.

Ack. We once had plans to use IPS, but then felt that in the Indian
scenario, IPS' bandwidth requirements won't be feasible.

The IPS developer have said later that the bandwidth requirements are
lower. Since I use Belenix mostly, I use spkg.

We wish them well, of course.

> belenix: stuff get's installed amazingly fast from the internet so why to
> download the entire repo.

I still feel the need to maintain a local mirror, though.

> belenix: has almost everything in their repository, right from media players
> my fav. mplayer to vlc etc etc. and flashplayers stuff like that.

Yes indeed. And the multimedia hosting is thanks to one of our users ! :)

> osol: with osol, i've to keep searching for stuff and downloading from
> various repos. repos like LWS has been shutdown which was really a nice
> piece of work.

Please do write in (on a separate thread) with what packages you would
like to see, and we'll incorporate those if possible.

> osol: ipython + auto completion doesn't work on osol, says the required
> readline library is missing.
> belenix: works like a charm.
>
> osol: brasero is not working on osol 0906 .
> belenix: haven't tried on belenix.

We dont' have this since we're KDE based at present, and the Gnome
avatar will come a little later. But then, I use only the command line
based cdrecord.

> generall: my printer deskjet F4288 works on both but the scanner doesn't.

What is the scanner model ?

> although good documentation would have helped to get things done without
> frustration. it was only when i got opensolaris bible and i read how to use
> cups rather than the default lp manager, that the printer is working.

Honestly, we've paid zero attention to printing. Thanks for bringing this up.

> Documentation:
>
> general: Lots of scope for improvement in documentation is required.
> especially small small howtos to get the job done. the knowledge that i've
> gathered if from the documentation from osol websites and opensolaris bible
> and pro opensolaris and various blogs from blogs.sun.com. this much reading
> the information requires time to gather and read. sometimes because of
> critical nature of work, you might not have the luxury to search for
> information on various resources.

You are absolutely right here.

> eg: how to install songbird with codecs to play mp3 files.?
> how to install media players like mplayer or vlc on osol?
> how to install and configure dns server or dhcp server?

Yes. Thanks for the starting points.

> skype:
>
> general: skype is still not available, which sometimes can become a
> bottleneck. as i guess, majorly ppl use it for voip communication.

I know that a number of people run skype for Linux within a branded
zone, and I think several people on BOSUG and Belenix-discuss are
skype users.

I'll try this out and post instructions on how to get skype-linux to
work on Belenix.

> wireless+virtualbox:
>
> general : in my experience wireless driver rum in my case is better than the
> one on linux. but a drawback with virtualbox is that we can't use guest os
> to use the wireless card for lan communication as it's still not supported.

Yes. However, it should be possible to attach a vnic to the Virtual
Box instance, and to then route traffic to the wireless device.

This is one more thing that we need to figure out and document.

> ext3 vs zfs:
>
> general: interoperability (read,write) from ext3 to zfs and vice versa is
> not there, which causes a lot of pain and frustration. moinak's driver to
> mount linux has been helpful but again it's only read access.

yes, this area needs more attention.

For those interested, read Pradhap's blog post here
(http://blogs.sun.com/pradhap/entry/mount_ntfs_ext2_ext3_in)

There are also these instructions on ntfs3g (which uses FUSE)
(http://forums.opensolaris.com/message.jspa?messageID=1287)

Finally, the FUSE project is the one to track
(http://opensolaris.org/os/project/fuse/)

> torrent/vuze:
>
> general: there are hardly choices for torrent clients. in my experience,
> transmission is not that a good torrent client neither on linux nor on osol.
> azureus is the best till date according to what i used. but installing
> azureus is still a pain if you don't have the proper links to information or
> howto.

We had ktorrent earlier, and will hopefully be able to get something in again.

> openoffice:
>
> general: it would be really nice if we could have openoffice by default in
> the installation cd.

This is something to consider. We may have to opt for a DVD install
given openoffice's size.

> hardware detection:
>
> general: it becomes difficult to determine the different parts from prtdiag,
> if you don't have the gui , especially while using ssh. prtdiag should give
> information in a more user friendly manner.

This is one of those cases where KDE needs to be made aware of the
underlying opensolaris environment.

> System admin:
>
> general: For the popular acceptance of the osol as a platform more
> information/documentation is needed. for eg:
> use cases or eg: and how to's about:
>
> natting
> port forwarding
> wireless.
> different servers, like , dhcp, dns, squid, ldap etc etc.

Ack.

We need to test and confirm that what ever's given at the bigadmin
site and the opensolaris sites work here as well.

> general: SUNWopenldap fails to start from smf, lot of R&D and googleing
> resulted that, it might be the problem of the manifest file, but nobody
> knows what's the issue and how to resolve it.
>
> general: elisa media center is not working for me. may be it's b'cas of ati
> drivers or may be not, i don't know.
>
> google toolbar:
>
> general: i miss google toolbars on osol. i use it big time for bookmarks on
> linux.

I'll go check if there'a bug filed for this.

> general: i miss netspeed applet to monitor my network bandwidth and data
> transfer rate. although i recently got it and installed from the contrib
> repo but it doesn't work with the wlan card (rum0) in my case, haven't tried
> that with lan card yet.
>
> i intend to create a central information resource for osol , something
> similar to linuxguide.org . i've started writing blogs about the solutions i
> found for the pain points i mentioned above and would be collecting more
> info and posting it to my blog.

Best of luck :) Keep up the good work