On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Rishabh <rishabhsrao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a concept of "System Registry" (like in Windows) in OpenSolaris or
> Linux operating systems?

   In traditional Unix there is no such thing. Typically all config
files go into
   the /etc/ directory. However it is slowly changing in the OpenSolaris
   environment. There are increasingly efforts to move to using the SMF
   (Service Management Facility) database for configuration information
   and reduce the number of /etc config files.
   There are potentially hundreds of config files in /etc and almost each
   with it's own format etc. It is tough for an admin. SMF provides a uniform
   config and service registry with a standard set of access commands.
   To learn more about SMF see here:
   http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/smf/

   See here for a related project:
   http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/smf-profiles/

> And is there a tool with which we can select the packages we like for
> OpenSolaris and download as a LiveCD (ISO image)? Thus, we can carry our
> favourite softwares everywhere we go!

   Not yet but this is an idea that we are working on. Currently you can
   use the BeleniX Constructor or Distro Constructor for OpenSolaris, but
   that takes quite a bit of effort. We are working on an easy to use Web
   GUI.

Regards,
Moinak.
--