Blacks still mistrust U.S. medical system - study

WASHINGTON, Nov 25 (Reuters) - Up to 80 percent of U.S. blacks and 52 percent
of whites believe that they or "people like them" could be used as guinea
pigs for medical research without their consent, a survey published on Monday
found.

The survey, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, suggested that
most blacks do not trust their doctors, and also suggested that it will be
hard to get African-Americans to take part in medical trials.

"As a society, we want the very best medical care," Dr. Giselle Corbie-Smith,
an assistant professor of social medicine and internal medicine at the
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, who led the study, said in a
statement.

"This care is based on evidence from medical research. Yet it appears that
many of us as individuals distrust the research enterprise and are unwilling
to participate in it. This is a critical disconnect."

Blacks still remember the notorious Tuskegee study in which Alabama blacks
were allowed to go untreated for syphilis between 1932 and 1972 -- even
though doctors knew antibiotics could cure them. The doctors wanted to study
the "natural course" of the disease.

"Since the Tuskegee syphilis study, we've known that large numbers of
African-Americans distrust the research community," Corbie-Smith said. "Now
we know that many whites share that same fear."

She said the fears could hurt efforts to do important medical research.

For the study researchers interviewed 500 blacks and 400 whites across the
country.

They found that 63 percent of the African Americans and 38 percent of whites
surveyed believed doctors often prescribe medication as a way of
experimenting on people without their knowledge.

One-quarter of blacks and 8 percent of whites thought their doctors had given
them treatment at some time as part of an experiment without their permission.

I reckon, one cannot and should not blame Americans  for showing  rather
execising a certain degree of sceptism  when it come to trusting U.S Medical
system. Uncle sam has lied  many a times to  US citizens.

Matek