SUNDAY MAIL
December 22, 2002

Scribes spy for BBC

THE British Foreign Office has allegedly hired some Zimbabwean journalists to
work for the BBC as underground staff whose duty is to shoot television images
and send them to the station's head offices in London, where voice-overs
are done.

The Government banned the BBC from operating in the country following
allegations that the station was publishing falsehoods about the country. It is
then that they devised the plan to recruit locals.

Documents in possession of The Sunday Mail show that a local reporter, Lewis
Machipisa, is now working for the BBC and SW Radio. He is allegedly going into
the rural areas to secretly shoot images for the BBC, write the voice-over
material and send the films to London, where the voice-overs are done by staff
at the station's head office.

An impeccable source close to the operations of the BBC said: "Lewis Machipisa
is now going underground in the rural areas shooting images for the BBC and
writing the voice-over material. The films are then voiced over in London by BBC
staff at the television centre.

"This is the plan they have devised to go around the ban on the BBC. He has been
given equipment and is now working full time for the BBC since he left IPS."

The Sunday Mail is reliably informed that the British Foreign Office authorised
money to be released to Machipisa through a South African account or cash
deposited through accounts in London. The payment system is overseen by a Mr
David Amanu, who is based at Bush House, and Mr Robin White.

It is understood that when interviewing farmers, Machipisa uses the contact book
of Mr Joseph Winter, a former BBC correspondent in Zimbabwe.

Machipisa is also allegedly supplying pictures to SW Radio, a station that
churns out anti-Zimbabwe propaganda. He is working for the station after a Ms
Violet Gonda approached him.

It is alleged that Machipisa is using a digital camera that he received from the
BBC to take still pictures and sending them by e-mail to the SW Radio website.

In a communication he allegedly sent to the BBC, which seems to confirm the
allegations, Machipisa wrote:

"George Charamba called me to ask about my clandestine activities . . . BBC TV
reporters. I refused the claim and offered to meet him to cover up the problem.

"I suspect that they have bugged my cellphone, that is the only way they could
have got this information. I have contacted Brian Hungwe (SABC) to warn him and
I am trying to convince his cameraman Nathan Dodzo to help us take video
pictures of the dreadful situation on farms.

"He has refused saying he has a good working relationship with Jonathan Moyo. I
suppose with a little bit of more money we can . . . using Chris from AP.

"Brian Hungwe is worried because his bosses are trying to get a Zimbabwean (sp)
journalist sympathetic to the government to join SABC in Harare.

"He used to be with the BBC at Focus on Africa; best friends with Supa
Mandiwanzira, a state broadcast news reader. This might make it difficult to use
SABC equipment because this guy is a government supporter. He is in London but I
am not sure what he is doing at the moment.

"I hope the state will not refuse to register me as a BBC correspondent because
they have stated that the BBC is banned as an organisation. I will call you and
let you know about what George Charamba says if and when I meet him."

Contrary to Machipisa's claim that the information could have got to Cde
Charamba because his phone could be bugged, there is a paper trail that has been
unravelled by this paper's investigations.

After receiving the communication from Machipisa, the BBC head for Africa and
Middle East, Barry Langridge, wrote a letter to Cde Charamba on December 11
trying to dismiss the allegations against Machipisa.

He wrote: "I am writing to express the deep concern of the BBC at certain
unfounded allegations about our work and that of our reporter in Harare, Mr
Lewis Machipesa.

"I write because we are concerned for the reputation and safety of Mr Lewis
Machipesa, whom we regard as a reporter of the highest standards.

"There has recently been some suggestion that the BBC is either connected with,
or directly responsible for, the output of a private radio station, SW Radio
Africa.

"The BBC has no connection of any kind with that organisation ; no
financial, staff or training relationship of any kind, or in terms of equipment
or delivery of signal. The wilder rumours seem to suggest that some of our staff
own or control the station concerned. This is a complete fabrication," said
Langridge.

Cde Charamba responded to Langridge's letter saying: "Many thanks for your
letter which, quite frankly, was both unexpected and unwarranted.

"I suppose you think the mighty BBC can interpose between two Zimbabweans
communicating in confidence and, what is more, ensure 'reputation and
safety' of the other.

"Your patently convoluted claims of distance (vis-a-vis SW Radio) and
professionalism for BBC are, I am sure, meant to be a bad joke, especially given
that you know or should know your interlocutor. I certainly know much more than
BBC's wish image and feel insulted by any invitation to view it in claimed
light as opposed to a real one.

"I am sure you credit me with a measure of thought and gauge the disbelief I am
willing to suspend.

"I do not expect any response to this communication and please let me not have
it."

Efforts to contact Machipisa were fruitless.

"Ivinicus factus sum veritabem diceus." ( I have become an enemy for speaking the truth ) St Paul!
Mitayo Potosi

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf