Who will take the blame?

David Kelly bled to death from slashed wrist;
His life was made intolerable, say family;
Glenda Jackson calls for Blair's resignation

By Andy McSmith, Political Editor

The horrific death of a talented scientist haunted the footsteps of the Prime Minister yesterday, halfway across the world.

Police disclosed that Dr David Kelly, the adviser caught up in a feud between the Government and the BBC, bled to death in an Oxfordshire wood from a wound in his left wrist after taking a knife and a packet of painkillers out on his last, lonely walk from home.

Shortly before his death, Dr Kelly sent an email to a journalist complaining that there were "many dark actors playing games" in his life.

And in a statement read to reporters by police yesterday, his family said that "events over recent weeks have made David's life intolerable, and all of those involved should reflect long and hard on this fact".

In Tokyo, Tony Blair pleaded for "restraint and respect" as an official inquiry into the suspected suicide got under way. Looking strained and with his voice cracking at times, he told journalists accompanying him on a tour of the Far East: "Let me express my deep sorrow for the tragedy that has come about.

"I don't think it is right for anyone, us or anyone else, to make a judgement until we have the facts."

And today Mr Blair today ruled out recalling Parliament. He said a recall would "generate more heat than light" and that Dr Kelly's family should be allowed time to grieve.

But in London, one of his former ministers, Glenda Jackson, said that the Prime Minister should resign, and take Alastair Campbell and Geoff Hoon with him, after what she described as "an absolutely shameful, shameful episode". She said: "Alastair Campbell's position is as shaky as those of the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence. I think they should resign immediately. I cannot see what benefits they are bringing to this country and, speaking parochially, to my party, after this utterly shameful episode. The idea of that poor man - it's unspeakable. There should be resignations and they should come as quickly as possible."

Dr Kelly's suicide came two days after his televised appearance before the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, (FAC) but the statement from his family suggested that the inner turmoil which led to his death had begun further back.

It will have been set off by the possibility that he was the source quoted by the BBC defence correspondent, Andrew Gilligan, when he alleged that Mr Blair's staff had tampered with intelligence about Iraq's weaponry "to make it sexier".

Dr Kelly approached his superiors within the Ministry of Defence to admit that he had met Mr Gilligan. He was questioned by officials for five days, and warned about his conduct. He was then named in a letter from Mr Hoon to the BBC on 9 July. The name was leaked on the same day. As well as being questioned by two Commons committees, one meeting in private, Dr Kelly had to move into a safe house provided by the MoD for several days, to avoid the journalists outside his home near Abingdon.

The circumstances leading to his death will be the subject of an inquiry headed by a judge, Lord Hutton.

Yesterday, almost everyone involved denied being to blame. Speaking to the BBC, Mr Hoon said he took the welfare of all his staff seriously but did not accept that he had put pressure on Dr Kelly directly.

John Humphrys, presenter of Today, said it was "nonsense" to blame the BBC. "After all, it wasn't we who named Dr Kelly; it wasn't we who called him before an inquiry, a committee; it wasn't we who thrust him into the spotlight. To suggest that somehow it's all our fault is bizarre."

Downing Street spokesman said: "The journalists who came up with David Kelly's name know that we didn't provide it to them. Also, people recognise that the original allegation was false, and the BBC had a chance to say sorry and move on. To reduce this tragedy down to blaming Alastair Campbell is doing less than justice to the truth."

The only _expression_ of regret was from Andrew Mackinlay, a member of the FAC who has been criticised for his questioning of Dr Kelly. He said: "I am sorry for any of the stress that, albeit unintentionally, I may have caused him during his questioning."

A few hours before Dr Kelly killed himself, he sent an apparently optimistic email to a friend, Professor Alastair Hay, who suggested yesterday that the blame for his death should be shared by the Government and the BBC.

"You have this man hung out to dry and becoming the ball between two major organisations," he said. "To be batted around the way he was, I just thought it was intolerable."

A post-mortem examination revealed that Dr Kelly died of a haemorrhage as a result of a cut to the left wrist ... A small knife has been recovered
Official police statement

Events over recent weeks made David's life intolerable, and all of those involved should reflect long and hard on this fact ... We are utterly devastated
The family of Dr David Kelly

Alastair Campbell's position is as shaky as those of the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence. I think that they should resign immediately
Glenda Jackson MP

The appropriate procedures were followed inside the Ministry of Defence to ensure Dr Kelly's rights were respected and properly handled
Geoff Hoon, Secretary of State for Defence

I deeply regret Dr Kelly's death. I am sorry for any stress that, albeit unintentionally, I may have caused him during his questioning before the select committee
Andrew Mackinlay MP

After all, it wasn't the BBC who named Dr Kelly. It wasn't we who called him before a parliamentary inquiry. It wasn't we who thrust him into the spotlight
John Humphrys of the BBC

Additional reporting by Severin Carrell, James Morrison and Jo Dillon