Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 5:07 AM
Subject: [great-lakes] Rwanda asks Uganda to explain arrest of ex-diplomat in Kampala

               Copyright 2003 British Broadcasting Corporation
                       BBC Monitoring Africa - Political
                      Supplied by BBC Worldwide Monitoring

                             July 27, 2003, Sunday

LENGTH: 345 words

HEADLINE: Rwanda asks Uganda to explain arrest of ex-diplomat in Kampala

SOURCE: The Monitor web site, Kampala, in English 27 Jul 03

BODY:
    Text of report by Ugandan newspaper The Monitor web site on 27 July

    Rwanda has asked Uganda to explain the mysterious detention of her
diplomat
in Kampala by security personnel.

    Internal Security Organization ISO operatives allegedly arrested a
former
welfare officer at the Rwandan embassy in Kampala, Mr Vincent Butera, in
June
last year.

    "We regard this as a very unfortunate thing. We ask the Uganda
government to
explain the circumstances surrounding his Butera arrest," Rwandan Foreign
Affairs Minister Mr Charles Murigande told Sunday Monitor by telephone from
Kigali this week.

    He said Rwanda's foreign officers has on several occasions raised such
complaints with their several Ugandan counterparts.

    "God knows how many times we have brought these issues to their Uganda
attention, including President Yoweri Museveni," Murigande said.

    "We know of those arrested. Some have been released, while others died,"
he
added.

    The minister of regional cooperation, Mr Augustine Nshimye, told Sunday
Monitor that he had not received any official communication from Kigali
regarding Butera's case.

    "I am very sorry to hear that, but I have not been officially
communicated
to on that particular issue," Mr Nshimye said.

    A family member came to The Monitor last week and said Butera was
arrested
by operatives from Internal Security Organization and Chieftaincy of
Military
Intelligence CMI .

    He identified some of them as Lt Ben Baguma, Lt Patrick Lumumba, Lt
Francis
Odechi and Pte William Ssekitoleko.

    The Rwanda ambassador, Ms Christine Umutoni, last week confirmed
Butera's
arrest. She said the embassy did not follow up the matter because Butera was
no
longer an employee of the embassy when he was arrested.

    The relatives said they feared he could have been killed in detention.

    Sunday Monitor failed for a whole week to reach ISO Director-General Col
Elly Kayanja and the head of CMI Col Noble Mayombo for a comment.

    They were reportedly in meetings whenever Sunday Monitor called their
mobile
phones.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Great-Lakes Forum
If you do wish to belong to great-lakes, you may
subscribe by sending an email to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]