Dear Musaazi,

To illustrate a point that's best driven home anecdotally, I was going
to tell netters a story about a tragic event that happened in 1981 in my
neck of the woods.  But it occurred to me that I could simply redact
your small polemic to good effect.  My insertions are in brackets.

".hmm if father [Osmundo Bilbao] is not a part of the UNRF (or at least
a sympathizer), then why are the Ma'di elders afraid that criticizing
him will "could
frustrate and damage the whole peace process currently in place,". If it
is
okay to accuse the government of not adequately protecting people in
[Moyo district],
why is it wrong to accuse those who appear to aid and abate the [UNRF],
which
is the main culprit in the [West Nile] saga. There is no smoke without a
fire.
Whose side [are the Ma'di elders] on anyway and why is father [Osmundo
Bilbao] in there
ranks...afterall he is neither [a Ma'di] nor a Ugandan."

Peace.

vukoni

PS. For those curious to know the full story of Osmundo Bilbao, read
on.  Bilbao was one of several courageous indigenous and foreign
Catholic priests who stood up to condemn the atrocities committed by the
UNLA in West Nile. After the UNLA massacred close to 100 IDPs  in Ombaci
Catholic parish/secondary school complex in early 1981, Osmundo traveled
to Kampala to bring to wider national and international attention what
was really going on in West Nile.  While Bilbao was on his way,
apologists for the UPC/UNLA cabal condemned him in words that could have
come straight out of the mouth of our illustrious Emmanuel Musaazi.
Bilbao never made it back to Moyo alive.  UNLA soldiers assassinated him
in Kampala.  To this day, the Ma'di people remember him as a martyr,
like many of their own, who died opposing armed violence.

Unfortunately, the same tragic history is repeating itself in northern
Uganda. I wonder when we will learn that we do not have to belong to the
same religion, nationality, or race, to stand up for the rights of the
victims of brutal power struggles.

vll.