Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message ---

Black Masculinities

Friday, February 4, 2005

The Graduate Center, CUNY

Black Masculinities is an all-day conference organized and sponsored

by  the Africana Studies Group of the Graduate Center of the City

University  of New York.  This conference seeks to clear a space for a

strategic, systematic interrogation of Black masculinities, exploring

the complexity  of representations and performances of Black masculinity,

and analyzing  the simultaneous commodification and dehumanization of Black

males. We  recognize that theories of Black masculinities effect

cultural critique,  public policy, and community activism.  Black masculinity

should represent  (and often has represented) a complex, disruptive, and

liberating theoretical and political stance.  Despite this radical potential, Black  masculinity often remains a problematic vacancy, both inside the academy  and in its lived experience in the world.

The papers at the conference  will, we hope, contribute to the identification and

articulation of a progressive Black Masculinity. We invite papers and panel

suggestions from  academic and independent scholars from all fields in the

social sciences  and humanities, as well as artists and activists.

Topics may include, but are not limited to:

Fictional Black Masculinities

Political Black Masculinities

Performative Black Masculinities

Theorized Black Masculinities

Comic Black Masculinities

Queer Black Masculinities

Statistical Black Masculinities

Visual Representations of Black Masculinities

Applied Black Masculinities

Feminist Black Masculinities

Transnational Black Masculinities

Generational Black Masculinities

Black Masculinities and the Military

Black Masculinities and  Prison

Black Masculinities and Labor

Nationalist Black Masculinities

Multiethnic Black Masculinities

Genealogies of Black Masculinities

Please submit abstracts (300-500 words, please) by September 15th 2004

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---