Joseph,

No inside knowledge but it is as plain as light. The truth that YKM is speaking is that he was never serious about negotiations, and we said so. Secondly over a forthnight ago, he spoke as if giving federo to Buganda and now somewhere he is warning Banyankole never to talk of federo for Ankole. If the federo we want is for the whole of Uganda, why should YKM leave Banyankole out of it? Answer: Because he has no intention of giving federo as Buagnada wants it but only as decentralization which he wants and Mmengo rejects. That is the truth of what YKM intends. BUt he has had to bait Buganda for ekisanjja and and Mmengo fell for it and abandoned the common platform and negotiations it had hammered out with other kingdoms and other communities and decided to go to YKM/''s trap. In so doing, it angered iother parts of Uganda who now consider Mmengo self centred and we see they are bent  to reject federo simply bercause of Mmengo's blunder. Now YKM has started to speak the truth of his hidden intentions.   On kampala he says Kampala belongs to the whole of Uganda. I agree and there are historical reasons to back this up which is the subject of an article I will shortly do

COO
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [FedsNet] Mengo won't get Kampala - Museveni , Monitor 15/9/2004

Mr. Opoka-Okumu,

What is the truth that Museveni is 'speaking' this time? You seem to have some inside knowledge, please tell us!

Joseph

Chris Opoka-Okumu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear all,

May be we should listen to YKM this time. "YKM is speaking the truth this time"!

COO
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 3:53 PM

Mengo won’t get K’la - Museveni
By Felix Basiime

Sept 15, 2004 - Monitor

MBARARA - President Yoweri Museveni has said he will not hand over Kampala to Buganda kingdom. “The city is for all Ugandans,” he said.

“We shall never hand over Kampala to Buganda kingdom. This is nonsense. Kampala is for us all,” Museveni said Monday night on Mbarara based Radio West.

Museveni was responding to the moderator of the programme, Mr Sulaiman Matojo, who asked about the fate of non-Baganda living in the city in case it was handed over to the kingdom. Museveni said Mengo, the seat of Buganda and Lukiiko, had its own agenda.

“I have said no to them. I will not allow a cultural leader to join politics,” he said. He said, “I once invited all LC3, LC5 and Movement chairmen from the 12 districts in Buganda but only six opposed our idea (of two Nkiikos). This means Mengo is pursuing its own line,” he said.

He said talks between him and Mengo were initiated out of his own hospitality. He said the talks were not lawful or binding. Museveni’s remarks come after another round of talks failed to bear any tangible results.

Buganda stuck to its demands for federo and the 9,000 Mailo land. The two parties are also deadlocked on the composition of the Lukiiko at Mengo. The government proposes two Nkiikos, one cultural and the other administrative, a position Buganda opposes.

Museveni said it is only through district councils or Parliament that the issues in question can turn into law. “The Lukiiko is not elected out of the 12 districts in Buganda.

The Lukiiko neglects the district councils, they fear polls but when my proposals go through Parliament, it will work. Talking to them does not make any law. It is the district councils or Parliament,” he said.

Museveni thanked the western region for not buying the idea of Charter (bringing together districts). He said he was going to monitor the Kampala-based radios CBS and Simba, which he accused of using divisive language in their programmes.

He was particularly responding to a caller who alleged that Simba and CBS abused Museveni and therefore the President should send troops to close them for a week. “You will not lose support for that,” the caller had suggested.

Museveni responded, “That is a good question. I had not bothered before. I don’t get angry for abusing me but those who divide the people shall be dealt with. We shall listen and record them (radios)”.

Asked whether the government would compensate those who lost property in the north and west, he said it needed a constitutional amendment to allow the President to sanction such payments.

He said those who lost commercial vehicles would be compensated although it was not the government that burnt their property. Asked by a caller, Mr Elius Kabagambe a teacher at Mutara in Bushenyi why most African leaders get stuck in power and do not want to quit, Museveni said, “Who in Uganda has stuck to power? There are always elections and if some one is elected, he continues.”

Meanwhile, Robert Mwanje reports that Mengo dismissed the president’s statements that they were not based on research. Buganda local government minister Mr Arthur Bagunywa said that Ssempebwa’s commission and Odoki’s report clearly indicated that the majority wanted federal system of governance in Buganda. “That’s his personal thinking which is not based on research,” Bagunywa said.

He said Buganda’s delegation to the talks on federo is composed of people who called for federo status in the Constitutional Review Commission.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications

http://mail.yahoo.com