Buturo knows Luweero killers, says UPC

THE Uganda People’s Congress (UPC) has said information state minister Nsaba Buturo, who was a Luweero district commissioner, knows the people who massacred residents, reports Hillary Kiirya.

Speaking on phone, UPC’s defacto leader, Hajji Badru Wegulo, yesterday said, “I do not think Buturo believes in what he is saying other than protecting the buttered side of the bread. He knows the people who threw the grenades and butchered people in Luweero and not Dr. Milton Obote as he said. Obote is not a killer.

“That was a very unfortunate statement though we expected it from the government. We know they have sinister plans for the party president. They thought his return was a simple thing but after knowing the public’s opinion, they got scared and used this as the only way of stopping him from coming back,” Wegulo said.

He was reacting to Buturo’s warning on Luweero massacres in which he said exiled former president Obote should answer for the atrocities.

Wegulo said they were studying the situation before they come out openly on Obote’s return.
“This is a man whose father and mother were murdered by the government. So when the government says such things about him, we have to be very careful,” Wegulo said.

Published on: Saturday, 9th April, 2005