In the end of all this Kagame crap, the Tutsi's are going to be the major victims, and this time they have created it on them selves.

Em
Toronto
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 7:06 AM
Subject: [rwandanet] Rwanda's Kagame says no favours for Hutu rebels

Rwanda's Kagame says no favours for Hutu rebels
27 May 2005 16:46:08 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Arthur Asiimwe

KIGALI, May 27 (Reuters) - Rwanda will grant no special terms to ease the return of Hutu rebels, President Paul Kagame said on Friday in an apparent rebuff of the rebels' plan to become a political party after laying down their guns. The Hutu Democratic Forces for Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), based in neighbouring Congo, said in March it was ending its war against Rwanda and denounced the 1994 genocide, in which many of its members are suspected of taking part.

Kagame -- a Tutsi and former rebel leader whose forces routed the Hutu government responsible for the genocide -- has welcomed the FDLR announcement but has always been seen as unlikely to tolerate the FDLR's plan to re-invent itself as a political party.

In his latest statement, Kagame made no comment on that prospect but made clear the FDLR would be given no special favours.

"I do not think that group is special. All we will do is to open gates for them," he told reporters. "Those who wish to come are welcome. Those who wish to stay, it is their choice and those who wish to continue fighting can do.

"We appreciate their statement to disarm and come back home. Though it is long overdue for them, we remain open about receiving them when they come."

Kagame's government has refused to negotiate with the rebels for over a decade, instead sending its soldiers to hunt them down.

The FDLR is the largest grouping of Hutu rebels, many of whom are accused of killing 800,000 Rwandan Tutsis and moderate Hutus in a spasm of violence over 100 days in 1994.

Some FDLR rebels were members of the former Rwandan army and the notorious Hutu militias, or Interahamwe, which took part in the genocide. Rwanda has made it clear that any suspected of involvement in the genocide will be put on trial.

The presence of thousands of Rwandan rebels in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo during the last 10 years has fuelled ongoing regional instability and was specifically used by Kigali as justification for invading Congo in 1996 and 1998.

© RWANDANET 2005

Abatabizi bicwa no kutabimenya.

Nikozitambirwa.

"L'homme, à mon avis, se perfectionne par la confiance. Par la confiance seulement. Jamais le contraire." (Mustafaj)