Mr. Sebweze,

The discussion about Museveni's origins reminded me of a self-published book:

Chamonges Kericho 1997 Uganda: Hurtling Toward a Rwanda-like Crisis, Trafford, BC Canada  ($20 at www.trafford.com)

According to Mr. Kericho (almost certainly a nom de plume) Museveni was born in 1944 in Rwanda, and he came to Uganda in 1952 or thereabouts, but no biographical details are given (the stuff on Mu7 at www.wikipedia.com keeps disappearing or being revised)

The 1962 constitution covers about half the book. Interestingly, among the qualifications for president being Ugandan by birth was not a requirement back then.

The books lacks depth: it covers pre-indepence & post-independence period era up to and including Obote II in about 50 pages.

Ben it dwells a bit on the NRM  (up to 1995/6?) pp 52-78 -- almost 30 pages. So this is its main contribution. e.g. on pp55:

"Not only was the NRM militarizing the country, the dreaded secret security organs being re-established at an unprecedented rate. Resistance Committees we set up. Bars and hotels became forums for for intelligence gathering. In every social gathering place, there was virtually one secret agent to every five patrons. Travellers were required local Resistance Committees (RC) authorities what they were doing in the village.

"The NRM literally constructed a tight noose around the necks of the people without  them realizing what was going on. The Resistance Committees were sold as a more effective means to communicate information up the government hierarchy. The RC officials were elected, not appointed by the NRM. This sounded very democratic. A great idea. Unfortunately, the main purpose ogf the RCs was to watch people movement. In short, it was an elected intelligence network -- a GESTAPO of sorts".

"The NRM inner circle had a secret agenda  ..."

One of the most interesting parts of the book is a an excerpt of a letter written by some digruntled NRA officers with serial numbers 060 thru 942, where 060 is senior to 942.

This letter throws light on what was to become the 'Ghost Soldiers Saga'.  The book would achive more traction if this letter were published in full rather than in bits and pieces as it is now with names just slightly disguised but enough to be annoyingly distracting. Moreover most of the officers mentioned are either dead or in exile, and are in any case already known to Museveni.

The letter complains that leaders/officers outside of Ankole are treated like second class citizens. Remarkbly accurate description of recent events in Uganda, e.g. Gen. Kayanja episode. Bukenya's recent groveling on how Mu7 is a kind man who gives him his makombo == "Museveni is like a lion, he lives you some bones to eat after he has had his fill" ==  is ironical coming on the heels of Bukenya's stiff forced performance before the press.

But then again the letter complained about how in the NRA a mere corporal -- from the right tribe --  can  countermsnd the orders of a Colonel. it also paints an interesting picture of how secterianism operates insed the NRA (now UPDF), e.g.

"What explanation does the NRA leadership have for all one tribe dominance of the NRA dept. of Fince" Is it the hidden agenda of siphoning pit (sic) public funds to the south west in this liberty spending ministry whose books of accounts are not cubject to any critical audit under the cover of security matters!! Is it possible that in the entire NRA which unltil recently had 100,000 officers and men there was no one else who read (sic) accounts other than Banyankole? ...."

Rwanda knows that the UPDF is militarily a paper tiger, but a profitable one to those in power. And they behave accordingly. These days the UPDF is increasingly largely used to suppress the oppostion.

Anyhow, I hope Mr. Kericho updates his book and focus more on the Museveni's regime. Excluding the 1962 Constitution -- except for a few relevant sections -- may not be such a bad idea, given Uganda's consitutuins are all over the web and freely downloadable for those with web access, e.g. www.buganda.com/const62m.htm. If one just wants to see th qualificatios for presdent then one can click on President.

Archives like http://confinder.richmond.edu/ have current constitutions only. The 1995 contsitution's qualifications for president are art: http://www.parliament.go.ug/chapt7.htm.