Hey Einstein,

Isn't the Katikkiro right on the money about the Obote-UPC army attacking Buganda? Read Otunnu's book -- which based on his thesis) -- and take a look at the ethnic composition of the attacking army.

Also do you think that if the UPDF was 70% Acholi there'd be Kony? Why? Why not?

ps: try to answer questions (a) and (b) I asked before and this time try to use reason and logic, thank you:

a) what is what is wrong or unusual with the Baganda joining the armed forces or don't the Baganda have a right to be in the armed forces?

b) Wouldn't an army whose proportional composition mirrors Uganda's ethnicity lead to a more stable Uganda? If not, why not?

Matek Opoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

“It is not good for you parents to discourage your children from joining
 the security forces like Police, Army and Prisons because other tribes
 dominated these institutions and took advantage of their large numbers
 in the security forces and attempted to wipe out our kingdom, our
 traditions and our culture,” he said"""

This then is what is wrong! The fool seems to imply that Buganda children must rather should join the Armed forces, NOT  to protect the Republic of Uganda...But to champion the cause of Buganda!!! Got that..Musamize..read your man sentence again!!

Matek

musamize <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What is all this fuss about? That there is a link between ethinicity and the military (dysfunction) in African politics is hardly news, except, perhaps, to the Klingons.

In any event, anyone who care to read the many volumes on the subject will come to that realization, e.g. for Uganda:

Ibingira's The Forging of An African Nation or African Upheavals Since Independence

Amii Omara-Otunnu 1987 Politics and the military in Uganda, 1890-1985
Ali Mazrui 1973 Ethnic stratification and the military-agrarian complex : the Uganda case.
Ali A. Mazrui 1975 (?) Soldiers and kinsmen in Uganda : the making of a military ethnocracy

Elsewhere:

The military and politics in Africa : from engagement to democratic and constitutional control. edited by George Klay Kieh, Jr. & Pita Ogaba Agbese.

etc etc

So:

a) what is what is wrong or unusual with the Baganda joining the armed forces or don't the Baganda have a right to be in the armed forces?

b) Wouldn't an army whose proportional composition mirrors Uganda's ethnicity lead to a more stable Uganda? If not, why not?

Matek Opoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
How could you?...It takes a high level  of Critical Reasoning , to decipher certain things... otherwise you simply cannot get it. Comprehende!!

Matek

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

May be it is because the UGANDAN TROOPS have over time (1962 - 2005) failed to
protect the nationalities in Uganda. That the NATIONALITIES are resorting to
protecting themselves, CRITICALLY, I don't see any STUPIDITY in NATIONALITIES
in Uganda trying to protect themselves.

Quoting Matek Opoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
 EM:
 There is a notion out there held by some of our fellow citizens commonly
 referred to as "The mengo clique" which seems to think that Buganda
 exist apart from Uganda. ..and therefore, "Buganda troops" within the
 UPDF will mostly defend Buganda Interest. Such notion is of course
 stupidity of the Highest order. The fact is that Buganda or Iteso, or
 Acholi, lugwara,Madi, Busoga,Karamojong Uganda Troops MUST PROTECT THE
 INTEREST OF ALL THE PEOPLE OF UGANDA....and not some entity called
 Buganda!!

 Matek

 Edward Mulindwa wrote:
 Matek

 Why do we need a national army to protect a cultural institution, and
 from what?

 Em
 Toronto