Govt, NGOs benefit from north war - camp leaders
ROBERT MWANJE
GULU
Leaders of internally displaced people’s camps in northern Uganda have blamed government officials and NGOs for turning the 20-year-long insurgency into business.

Unyama camp leaders, headed by Mr Raymond Oduki Lamak, on Saturday said government officials and NGOs visit camps to shoot documentaries to solicit funds from donors, but camp residents do not receive anything.
They were meeting members of the Parliamentary Forum for Children led by Ms Ruth Tuma.

Unyama camp was set up in September 1996. It is located eight kilometres from Gulu town with over 24,000 people.
Oduku said Gulu had the highest number of NGOs, but nothing was being delivered to the people. “Apart from the World Food Programme which gives us beans once every month, we do not get any from the government or NGOs,” he said.

“The other day four people died of hunger here. Organisations just come here to make money. We ask MPs to enforce peace so that we can return home.”

Camp leaders also criticised the government for not fulfilling its pledges to IDPs since 1996. They said the government had even failed to provide basics like drugs, food, security and education.

Mr Benson Obua Ogwal (Moroto) said the government had not done enough to end suffering in northern Uganda. He said UPE had stalled due to lack of teachers and Shs5000 school fees charged from pupils.