Uganda: Kony Forces Join PRA and ADF

New Vision

Email This Page

Print This Page
Emmy Allio
Kampala
The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) could be using the Juba talks to forge new alliances so as to open up another war front.
There are reports from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) that in the recent weeks, LRA leaders in Garamba national park have agreed with representatives of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and People's Redemption Army (PRA) to form a new umbrella body.
"The rebels have agreed to form an umbrella body which will liaise with certain local opposition groups to fight the government," security sources here say.
A senior commander of the Congolese Revolutionary Movement (MRC), Col. Ndaura Sherrif, said the Uganda rebels had agreed to merge and were "currently operating together in parts of Ituri and are moving towards the border."
"The problem is that the Congolese army (FARDC) is not doing anything to fight or to stop the free movement of the Ugandan rebels," Sherrif said.
He said the Congolese army is camped at Djalasiga, a few miles from LRA camps in Rusu and Katanga in Ituri district. Katanga is about 80km from the Uganda border.
"This scenario defeats our understanding because some of the LRA are wearing FARDC uniforms and Kinshasa authorities are mum over it," he added.
Last month, security minister Amama Mbabazi delivered Uganda's protest note to the Kinshasa authorities about the free movement of the LRA within Congo.
Subsequently, Congo issued a three-week ultimatum ordering LRA to quit its soil.
"We do not take Kinshasa authorities seriously. To date, there is no fresh Congolese army or MONUC forces deployment to stop the rampant LRA activities within DRC," security sources said.
Sources said PRA forces were few but operate between Bilingi and Watsa in Ituri.
Recently, LRA formally gave an indication of its tacit relations with the ADF and PRA. This was contained in LRA's draft proposal on "Comprehensive and sustainable peace agreement on the resolution of the armed conflict in Uganda."
In point 1.4.3.2.6, the document suggested that an agreement in Juba should accommodate "recognised armed groups in Uganda such as ADF and PRA for integration into the national army." In the past the opposition in Uganda said PRA was a creation of the government and did not exist.
The UPDF in West Nile has deployed heavily along the borders with the DRC.
This week, The New Vision team drove along Arua and Nebbi borders with Congo and observed heavy troops movement.
"We have deployed to defend our borders from any armed intruders from Congo," a senior officer of the 409th brigade said.
Relevant Links
Following the latest developments in Congo, meetings between local authorities on both sides of the border are being held to strengthen border security.
Resident district commissioners of Arua and Nebbi, Omwony Ogaba and Betty Adima, have held talks with their Congolese counterparts in Aru and Mahagi.
"There is uncertainty over the border situation, but we are happy with our current contact with our Congolese counterparts," Ogaba said