Greetings Brother Gook.

At one time I had delusions that out there, there was some critical mass
of enlightened Ugandans to be relied upon to articulate the real course for
our country's future.

I don't have such delusions any more !!

Take Munini for example.

How do you leave Kigezi for Canada, and instead of living within civilised
Toronto you choose to go and live into some jungle called New Market?

I don't think the fellow has read a single Medical Journal in twenty years
!!

Then there is this Anne Mugisha who was part of the gangsters that run-down
the Uganda Commercial Bank Bank before they gave it away to British
Imperialism. (A Bank that was built with the blood and sweat of our dear
ones).

In the article below, like countless other times, she writes a summary of
some superficial and meaningless text.

Have you ever seen her write some analytical piece on either our local or
international issue?

And she purportedly is one of the leaders in FDC; can you imagine? !!

And the situation is not any better in either DP or UPC !!

I am pained and embarrassed to acknowledge that on the issue of  'being
smart and enlightened', on our national scene, gangster/criminal/dictator
Museveni beats all these idiots hands down .....

For fools, slavery is our lot.
*   July 19, 2007
Rising above evil      OPINION  Anne Mugisha

I happened upon a profoundly humbling book by South African psychologist
Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela and promptly regretted my lapse in following
developments in the northern Uganda peace talks.
While I have continued to follow the headline stories I have not fully
pursued the behind the scenes efforts by well meaning ordinary folks in
finding long term solutions to very complex social issues. In her book 'A
Human Being Died That Night,' Ms. Gobodo-Madikizela who worked closely with
the Truth and Reconciliation Commission chaired by Archbishop Desmond Tutu;
transports her reader into exploring the mind of apartheid's notorious death
squad chief Eugene de Kock.
Her candid analysis of the thinking behind evil deeds leads us to closely
re-examine traditionally held beliefs about crime and punishment and even
hard nosed cynics are forced to re-evaluate the purpose and effect of
punitive justice.
Until I read this book; and I am reading it sparingly, enjoying each
paragraph and hating to see the pages get closer and closer to its end, my
understanding of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) was so narrow
and amounted to a political cliché: A mechanism that will be instituted to
enable Ugandans at some time in the future to deal with the mistrust of
government institutions caused by decades of human rights abuses by the
state.
Many Ugandans are struggling to understand why the Acholi people would
forgive the evil deeds of both the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and the
government after two decades of carnage.
We are so steeped in the traditional legal system – where crime attracts
punitive measures equal or greater than the crime, that we cannot fathom how
a community that has been raped literally and figuratively can contemplate
to let off criminals of evil proportions at a ceremony that involves
toasting to a bitter drink. Pumla's book has made it possible for me to
understand that there is such a thing as rising above evil and achieving
reconciliation through acts of forgiveness.
The book also teaches an important lesson to those personally responsible
for crimes against political opponents and who falsely believe that the
'system' will always defend them. When apartheid ended, de Kock and others
who killed and tortured people found themselves exposed because the ideology
for which they had been sent on evil missions had been defeated.
They were isolated and left to reckon with the reality that they were just
plain criminals who committed evil deeds against ordinary people to defend
an evil system. When they attacked communities in neighboring countries they
had the full backing of the secret police and believed they were defending
their country against 'communists' and 'terrorists.' Today they sit in jails
abandoned by those who sent them on killer missions and without an ideology
to justify their murders.
I thought of those who torture and kill innocent people in safe houses in
Uganda believing that they are fighting terrorism and realized that they are
not dissimilar to foot soldiers of apartheid in South Africa, or those of
the LRA who tortured and maimed innocent civilians in northern Uganda. The
foot soldier always believes that they are committing atrocities for a
greater good.
If only they could foresee the isolation that awaits them when they finally
face the consequences of their evil deeds.
Here is an excerpt from Pumla's book:
'…apartheid turned religion on its head and through various church-based
structures…provided a theological vocabulary to disguise the naked evil of
what was being done…
Yet when de Kock appeared at his 1995 trial, arrested by a post-apartheid
government but in essence tried by the apparatus of the former apartheid
state…the state attorney set the scene for de Kock's trial by isolating him
from the system that he had served…
Those who gave de Kock orders, who once worked hard to protect him from
being found out, were no longer available or willing to go out on a limb for
him… this despite the fact that de Kock had received many medals for his
killing raids, including the highest national award for bravery, the Silver
Star…'
'Asked by the TRC whether they had authorized the crimes that were committed
by apartheid's foot soldiers, the master architects of apartheid responded
time and again that there was no official policy that sponsored illegal acts
of violence.
Yet when those who spoke out against apartheid were assassinated, died in
police custody, or simply disappeared, when families in neighboring states
who were thought to be harboring ANC members in exile were killed, when cars
and buildings associated with the liberation movement exploded or burned
down, no politician called for the investigation into these mysterious
occurrences.'
Each night I pray that I will be around to witness events at Uganda's future
Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The author is a Special Envoy, Office of the President, FDC.
*