Dear Mr Sseppuuya,*Re: Lawyers, lawyers everywhere. It is the rule of law,
or is it?*

*It is sad that East Africa, following the colonial masters,  has all those
incompetent lawyers in charge of our destiny.
In our time there used to be streaming in schools. The best students,
generally went into Science subjects and the second rate into Arts.

Look at the likes of Peter Kabatsi, Sam Kuteesa, Elly Karuhanga, VP
Ssekandi, Nuwa Amanya-Mushega, the late Omwony Ojok, Justice Ralph Ochan and
all of those lawyers. None of them studied Maths/Numeracy beyond Senior Two.

**Can you imagine it is these that negotiate contracts about the Oil fields?
Yes fellows who got zero in Maths in S.2 at Budo are now in charge.

Monsanto takes over the seed stock of East Africa after negotiating with
guys who went to law school because they had some good grade in Religious
studies or Shakespearean Literature or something of the sort.

I once had a communication with the Dean of the Law Faculty at Makerere. He
wrote to me that Science or Maths have nothing to do with Law. That
Scientists here go to law school to avoid unemployment !!!*
*
In the West Law School is some kind of Graduate School (called post-graduate
in Uganda).
Here, after Engineering School  many go to Law School. After an
undergraduate in Molecular and or Cell Biology one goes to Law school. It is
such calibre of scholars that eventually found pharmaceutical and chemical
industries, become the heads of Industry, or join** Government to write the
Law** to protect citizens**, or work on patents**.

Some of our lawyers have never had a class in basic science. Senior two
Biology is just not good enough.

The fraud here in the West is that the leaders in society are mostly clergy
and lawyers.

In China before 1945  Chairman Mao was a librarian. But the others -- Prime
Minister Chu-en-Lai, General Lin Piao etc...  were all engineers.  Their
Cabinets are mostly scientists and engineers.  How do the lawyers -  Obama
and gang, compare with the Chinese in infrastructure building? Take the
three Gorges Dam, Super highways, Bullet trains etc.....
America's Amtrak is a sick joke.

What are your views on this issue?

My other beef is that Three-year degrees ought to be phased out in Uganda.
Let us have only four-year degrees.

Mitayo Potosi.
==================================*
*Re: Lawyers, lawyers everywhere. It is the rule of law, or is it?*

Posted  Tuesday, July 26  2011 at  00:00

 Share This Story

Share<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monitor.co.ug%2FOpEd%2FCommentary%2F-%2F689364%2F1207614%2F-%2F12t908cz%2F-%2Findex.html&t=Daily%20Monitor%3A%20%C2%A0-%20Commentary%C2%A0%7CLawyers%2C%20lawyers%20everywhere.%20It%20is%20the%20rule%20of%20law%2C%20or%20is%20it%3F&src=sp>

Full disclosure: For my undergraduate studies, I wanted to pursue law,
having determined as a child that I would be a lawyer. I discounted the
rather simplistic yet simple opinion that I had overheard my mother telling
her sister, when I was 8 or 9 years old, that “lawyers are the people who
say a thief did not steal”. When the time came I did apply, but Makerere Law
School did not take me as I did not score the requisite marks at A-Level.

I was therefore left to admire from the sidelines as many schoolmates made
it into Law School. Many are now sound lawyers, magistrates and judges. It
was during university time also that the broader rule of law was restored
when the NRA swept to power, banishing state-inspired terror,
re-establishing courts of law, and the revamping of the Uganda Law Society.
The superstructure was rebuilt. But what is happening within the
superstructure?

One of the small benefits of travelling is the opportunity to see how things
work elsewhere, or how they do not work in your country. A sojourn across
the Malaba border point will instantly reveal that Kenya actually respects
road reserves. They do not build in them the way Ugandans do. There is a
by-law of preserving road reserves, and one suspects that Kenya’s road
reserves by-law is the same as Uganda’s. This is only one of the many
contraventions of law/statute/guideline that Ugandans happily live with. A
few others:

* Traffic laws: One-way streets, traffic lights, shoulders, speed limits,
overtaking, helmets, seatbelts, talking on phone, drink-driving, tinted
windows, motorcycle passenger limits
*Construction: Many by-laws governing building are ignored
* Copyright: TV stations and film halls translate wantonly; publications and
music stations pirate
*Registration of births/deaths: Births should be in 3 months, deaths in 1
month
*Littering *Firearms *First-come, first-served (not law, but good behaviour)

*Noise: Discos and churches
*Prevention of Cruelty to Animals: Overloading of cows on trucks, chicken on
bicycles and buses
*Registration of places of worship; marrying in a registered place
*Rabies Act: Police have power to seize, detain or destroy stray animals
*Smoking in public places
*Enguli Act: Nobody shall manufacture enguli without licence; no person
shall consume.

It is not exactly the Wild West, but neither is it Shangri-La. Whichever way
we could really do better. After all, we have so many well qualified
lawyers. Many of the recent key appointments are legal minds: Edward Sekandi
in the Vice Presidency, Amama Mbabazi as Prime Minister, Rebecca Kadaga as
Speaker of Parliament, with another lawyer, Jacob Oulanyah as her deputy.

The two big wigs at City Hall, Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago and executive
director Jennifer Musisi are both lawyers, as is their newly-found nemesis,
intelligence supremo Gen. David Tinyefuza, who holds a Masters degree in
Human Rights.

Makerere enrols 300 undergraduates into its Law School every year, while
Uganda Christian University passed out 213 law graduates last year and 229
in 2009. It is raining lawyers. So why is it that with all these legal
minds, we are a society less inclined to obey and enforce what is lawful?
Perhaps the Musisi/Lukwago versus Tinyefuza standoff is instructive.

The KCCA boss is holding onto the legal – the house under contest lawfully
belongs to the city authorities. There was never a proper (lawful) transfer
of the property to the security forces; the land title is at City Hall. On
the General’s side, there is a flouting of what is lawful. This small matter
is just one of many the new administration at City Hall is going to have to
deal with to establish true rule of law, because impunity in Uganda trickles
all the way down from the high and mighty to the supposedly upright me and
you.

What is particularly alarming is the wanton disregard of the law by lawyers
themselves. Small time lawyers are also making hay. In the wake of
post-election petitions is a long trail of double-dealing by lawyers. By
law, any petition contesting election of an MP must be accompanied by an
affidavit, and affidavits are administered by lawyers.

This is being abused. The Law Society is going to receive an entreaty
pointing out that certain lawyers have been swearing affidavits with one
witness, then turning around and administering an affidavit with the same
witness for the client’s opponent, nullifying the previous one. They are
telling lies; they are abusing affidavits – it is the moral equivalent of a
priest marrying a lady to one man, then turning around and marrying the same
woman to her former boyfriend. It is prostitution.

We are admittedly a laissez faire society; we do not pay too much attention
to order. We like a bit of jungle law. It is kama mbaya mbaya (come what
may). There is a joy, even some fun, to it, but also a price to pay. It does
breed a wrong culture – impunity – and costs us future discipline. It is on
scrupulous obedience of the law that a society builds a civilisation. Let’s
produce more lawyers, but let us also apply and obey the law.

dsseppu...@ug.nationmedia.com