*Folks,Makerere’s Prof Yasin Olum lacks a single grain of truth.*

*We are here, far away, but still see what goes on. Dr Olum is on the
ground and comes up with flimsy un-truths.*

*The Kampala tax base was sabotaged, not by m7 but by ......... a Mayor
!!   Mzee Ssebaana.*

*Kampala reached a stage *

*when garbage could not be collected. That's why they dumped the costs of
running Kla City to our Treasury*

*/to State House/to m7's lap.*

*For twenty years m7 never bothered Kampala until it started rotting.*

*We are now told that Lukwago is only a Ceremonial Mayor, and that earns
Fifteen million Shs per month !!*

*Adding insult to injury some loud mouths have said Lukwago is Presidential
material. (They think Baganda we are stupid, easy to lie to).*

*The truth is M7 has his file to account for. Each one of us has to account
for their file. Heaping all sins on m7, to cover up for others is
wrong.......and  helps nobody..... *

*We are not dumb. Anybody, including a Muganda, ruining our country is a
common enemy to us all.Why is Dr Yasin Olum hiding truth?Mitayo
Potosi.================================ *
KCCA a Threat to National Democracy – Experts [image: Dr Olum speaking at a
function in Kampala on Thursday]
Dr Olum speaking at a function in Kampala on Thursday

Government of Uganda has been cautioned against ‘tinkering’ with the
initial principles on which decentralization was premised.

The notion of decentralization which was accorded prominence by the current
NRM government in the 1980s, experts say, is slowly diverting from its
foundations and achieving lesser of its intended goals.

Makerere University’s Prof Yasin Olum warns that decentralization is being
twisted by politicians to advance their personal goals.

“One of the reasons we moved away from centralized government was to
promote democratic governance and to eradicate dictatorship at the local
level,” said Prof Olum at a public dialogue held on decentralization in the
country at Makerere University on Thursday.

“Sadly today, we are seeing a shift toward corporatization with the
creation of such institutions as the KCCA,” he added.

Corporate management of local governments, Olum warned would critically
erode democracy and representative governance at the periphery.

“Corporatization will cause democratically elected representatives of
people to increasingly depend on bureaucrats and professionals like
accountants and lawyers.”

He further elucidated, “KCCA is an executive agency which concentrates on
managerialism as the best way of delivering services to the people as
opposed to the constructed local state called Kampala.”

KCCA was established in March 2011, replacing the old Kampala City Council
(KCC), with the hope of finding last solutions to the various city
challenges including potholes, garbage and sewer management, population
explosion and traffic jam.

The Authority effectively placed management of Kampala district under
direct supervision by central government, with its head (Executive
Director) answerable to the cabinet Minister in charge of Kampala. The
elected mayor was only left with ceremonial powers.

Dr Olum warned that government was likely to be lured by KCCA’s recent
registered successes to introduce similar Authorities to run other local
governments such as municipalities.

“We saw government plot to do away with councillors in Kampala, only to be
blocked by MPs. At this rate government is busy taking back management of
local government, and soon the whole essence of decentralization with be
lost.”

A few months after being established, a serious conflict erupted between
KCCA’s political and administrative wings culminating into the ultimate
disposition of the Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago.
Officials at the Authority say business has been thriving there in his
absense.