Jörn Kottmann wrote:

>>> The project model of the Cas Editor does not really fit what we
>>> need now in my opinion. We have to rework that.
>>> It was made for the RCP Cas Editor version, but now the Cas Editor
>>> is more like a tool which just shows/edits CAS files.
>>>
>>> We could try to make a general model where a user configures a type
>>> system
>>> per project and use that in all our plugins. This would lead to a
>>> simplification
>>> of the Cas Editor and the removal of some (legacy) features.
>>>

>> Then add a notion of input document collection, and a
>> way to launch UIMA processing like in CVD, and we can
>> get rid of the Swing based tooling altogether.
>>
> Can you please elaborate on what you mean with input document collection ?

A collection of text documents that you can run
analysis on.  If I understand correctly, the Cas
Editor currently requires XCAS/XmiCAS files.  It
would be nice if users could just add their text
files and then either create annotations manually
with the Cas Editor, or automatically by running
some analysis and then view the results using the
Cas Editor.  Then we could add results comparison
etc.  See
http://dl.alphaworks.ibm.com/technologies/tap/text_analysis_perspective.pdf
for a (outdated) description of what we have
in-house.  It's geared more towards a business user
than a developer, but the ideas of document collections
and the development cycle are equally applicable.
If there was enough interest here, I think that
would be a good direction to go in.

--Thilo