On 02/05/2012 07:05, Neil J. McRae wrote:

On 1 May 2012, at 21:51, "Adrian Kennard"<uk...@e.gg>  wrote:

Oh, I know. But are we enough of a voice to cause sanity to

No because we don't have a voice and our only form of communication is to say
"that'll never. work" then we shut down other scam sites because clearly that
works!

This, I fear, is where as an industry we have shot ourselves in the foot a bit. There has been a large conflation of technical "that won't work" and political "are you expecting the post office to open every letter and throw away ones they don't like?" arguments. The other side isn't much better with the rights holders claiming that every 14 year old would go out tomorrow and buy their pirated collection at retail price - but our constant "it can't be done" is starting to sound hollow.

And then, as Neil says, we go and successfully filter stuff, or at least detect it if not block it in some instances with malware etc.

This is, in a way, like airport (and Olympics) security theatre. The courts / rights holders / whoever don't care if people can circumvent the block on TPB or anything else; something has been done and the general population can see that something has been done.

Paul.

--
Paul Thornton