From: uknof [mailto:uknof-boun...@lists.uknof.org.uk] On Behalf Of Martin J.
Levy
Sent: 02 May 2014 10:10
To: uk...@uknof.org.uk
Subject: [uknof] Virgin Media - router vs modem?

Hello UK-hive-mind,

Long time reader; first time poster. (Well to this list anyway!).

I've just brought over an 802.11ac router to the UK and realized the Virgin
Media broadband "superhub" (it's a netgear box) is a router/wifi box. I want to
run the new box as the router. It's just an Ethernet box; no cable-modem.

Is there a prescribed way to run a connection with Virgin Media in modem mode
using their own box; ie run your own router? Do I need to but a modem? The
"superhub" seems to be remotely managed. I don't want to go change things too
much.

Thoughts?

Martin