> Well I'd certainly try this first with a stock inventory part before
> spending unnecessary money on the expensive vendor optic...

I'd find the mux spec before puting something live that may only
be on the edge of staying live

> Vendors do give different tolerances for what the actual wavelength
> transmitted will be and this will fluctuate slightly due to the
> manufacturing process

Yes, that's the wide range I quoted, devices can be anywhere within that
(I've measured them), there's no reason for non cwdm be close to 1310

> optic sold as cwdm will have been checked against a tighter limit but I'd
> be shocked if you're buying LR that isn't almost exactly 1310.

It may be some manufacturers use the same lasers for both parts but
usually the cwdm have a laser designed for stability, which costs more
(DFB vs Fabry-Perot)

brandon