The Verne Global Datacenter which some of you toured with me at the
last EPF in Iceland is up, operating and growing. Verne is getting the
benefits of cheap geothermal energy, airside cooling (economization)
and have found a niche application to tide them over until the b/w
situation changes. Slowly. HPC. High energy requirements, low
bandwidth requirements. That offsets the expense of the current
network regime there.

Once the emerald express system is built, I expect to see b/w prices
become more realistic and open up additional opportunities for
Iceland.

You should really talk to Verne about current costs and opportunities
in Iceland. I have maintained all my Iceland connections. If anyone
needs a point, feel free to ping me offline.

WRT to the geologic aspect, Verne and the cables were well situated to
avoid volcano and quake damage zones. Remember, Icelanders have been
doing this for quite a long time. Even the data center, situated on
the former NATO airbase, is on bedrock from the early formation of
Iceland which means that ground acceleration, the damage factor in
quakes, does not affect them as much. Northern CA USA has far more
quake danger than Keflavik, FWIW.

Best,

-M<