On 9 September 2015 at 22:37, Brandon Butterworth <bran...@bogons.net> wrote:
>> <sky-pie>  I did just wonder if it's worth the time of a few of the
>> smaller ISPs to get together to design & build their own 'open' CPE,
>
> We could but that's not the main issue. I want BT to be responsbile
> for the service we're paying them to deliver

+1
therein lies the crux of the matter.

However, I'm reasonably sure that OpenWRT (which has TR069 stuff, see
UKNOF presentations passim, iirc?) on some recent 128MB+RAM hardware
will be a good starting point, though care will need to be taken to
ensure that throughput can cope with future speeds.
Please that most customers are non-geek, so skinning and greying out
features is the way to go to protect them from themselves and prevent
your support lines melting under the strain of finger-fiddlers.

But like Brandon says, that's another issue - it's the end-end+demark
principle. I see this as BT Group washing their hands of things as a
business tactic to raise profits on SFI visits and dodge out of fixing
the faults in their plant. I can see only one winner there.

--
sent via Gmail web interface, so please excuse my gross neglect of Netiquette