Completely agree with this, we joined LINX to peer with another network, and
they suggested LINX was the cheapest way to go (for them) so it wasn't a waste
of money for us either way,  however we were also impressed by the number of
routes claimed by LINX. On the latest 'HotLINX' newsletter it suggests over
400k routes available, but you won't get anywhere near that. Most operators
don't even respond to peering requests, and those that do claim we should be
buying transit off of them rather than peering with them. Sometimes it feels a
bit like you are dealing with the old boys club of ISP's!!
Our traffic is symmetrical as its all VOIP so not like peering with us is a one
sided arrangement.

Not complaining by the way, LINX is good for picking up traffic from a lot of
UK ISP's, we pick up a lot of the xDSL etc traffic - with VOIP the shortest
path is always preferable - so it's more of an adjustment of expectations. I
have mentioned to LINX before about the accuracy of the figures they publish...

--
Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
necessarily the Company. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it,