1. The biggest difficulty with the draft is that it states, and relies on, an assumption which is false:

| INTERNET CONNECTION RECORDS
| What are they?
| 44. A kind of communications data, an ICR is a record of the internet services a specific | device has connected to, such as a website or instant messaging application. It is captured | by the company providing access to the internet. Where available, this data may be | acquired from CSPs by law enforcement and the security and intelligence agencies.

As we know, under normal circumstances, the company that is providing access to the Internet does NOT capture records of each website and instant messaging application that devices connect to.
Hence the records are not available and the statement is pointless.
So this does not meet the government's objective.

Were the government to require that such records are created, there would be costs involved. UK citizens would be the bearers of that cost, whether funded by government or not. This would create some degree of cost disadvantage in the UK and government would need to assess the balance of cost and benefit. How much would investigatory agencies save if they had access to such records?

The records might be effective in detecting those that use the Internet casually during the perpetration of other crimes. The records are likely to be ineffective against those carrying out crimes exploiting the Internet because encryption and obfuscation would certainly enable deliberate perpetrators to avoid detection.

2.  Can we offer any positive suggestions?
In her evidence to Parliament the Home Secretary particularly emphasised Name resolution. It would seem reasonable that the industry could identify an incremental cost of recording and retaining a record of each DNS query that it processes. It would then be for the Investigating Agencies to show that the ICRs made available from this actually helped sufficiently to justify the cost. They would also need to consider that the mechanism is easily evaded by those using resolvers outside of scope of this legislation.

Steve Nash