> On 5 May 2016, at 19:01, Tom Hill <tom.h...@bytemark.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On 05/05/16 18:49, Joseph Waite wrote:
> > The easiest answer would be to peer direct with virgin but don’t
> > seem to have much luck trying to do so!
>
> You may recall that Virgin Media were acquired by Liberty Global. And
> Liberty's (AS 6830) peering policy is a lot stricter than Virgin's (AS
> 5089).
>
> A nice fellow from Virgin Media stood up at a LINX event not long
> after the acquisition and (amongst other things) stated that he hoped
> a happy middle ground would emerge between the two policies for 5089.
> This was positive, but it did imply that Virgin's policy would need to
> become more restrictive than it was pre-acquisition.
>
> I'm not particularly looking forward to what the future may hold based
> on current evidence, but you could say that I'm not overly surprised
> that their tact has changed somewhat (and is likely yet to change
> further).
>
> --
> Tom Hill
> Network Engineer
>
> Bytemark Hosting
> http://www.bytemark.co.uk/
> tel. +44 1904 890 890

We went through a lot of hassle trying to get Virgin Media/Liberty Global to
peers with us late last year/early this year.

The contacts on PeeringDB and their own web site (since removed) were
completely unresponsive for several months. LINX member relations managed to
get a response in the end (possibly via the guardian contact - we certainly had
to go down the route with Plusnet!), which was basically that all peering goes
via Liberty Global now and their policy is essentially don't bother :(

The person that we eventually spoke with at VM seemed genuinely sorry that they
had such a restrictive policy, so presumably this is coming from management and
not the techs.

My colleague Kieran has VM at home and has noticed that his route to us
sometimes goes via Amsterdam!

Edward Dore
Freethought Internet