From: David Reader <da...@reader.me.uk>
Date: 5 May 2016 8:04:42 p.m.
Subject: Re: [uknof] Virginmedia
To: Joseph Waite <joeli...@tm.net.uk>

On 5 May 2016 6:51:46 p.m. Joseph Waite <joeli...@tm.net.uk> wrote:

Hi All

Yes we would love to speak to someone here who might be helpful at virgin media as emails to their peering address get an auto reply saying it is being dealt with and nothing happens.

General comment having read the thread so far...

IME email to peering role addresses of any operator of reasonable size is rarely a good route for first contact. There are exceptions of course, but it's something to try in the absence of other practical options.

The (once only) "hey, I've just joined $exchange who's up for it?" to the distribution list will get most of those who'll be inclined to peer without negotiation.

As a general rule, getting to know the peering, technical, and policy staff of an operator in person is much more likely to yield constructive discussion.

Attend exchange meetings & peering forums; meet and talk and learn. Most everyone is decent and reasonable. You won't get what you think you want/prefer in many cases, but if you're reasonable and receptive you will get to understand others' perspectives and motivations, and you will build a network of contacts where you can help from time to time as well as be helped.

Always remember that (SFI) peering is a privilege not a right, and if you're asking first it's possibly more valuable to you than to them. Do consider what they will get out of it, and also that larger organisations often have greater cost in managing and operating peering relationships - so the bar is higher - even if you can turn up a session on a whim at insignificant cost it doesn't follow that they can or will. You'll find a lot of commercial and strategic factors involved, most of which won't be explicit.

Be prepared to consider and discuss other ways ends can be achieved even if you don't like the means. Some operators might be open to peering trials if there are clear success criteria and a realistic chance of meeting them.

Finally, I'll offer up my three best ways to not get peering and see if anyone fancies contributing any others...

1. Telephone the other party's NOC and be abusive. Follow it up with an abusive email for good measure. Or vice-versa.

2. Be a customer, and hence already paying to access their network, or a recent customer and hence should have carried on paying if the access was important.

3. Be a potential customer

d.